As a poultry farmer, one basicthing you need never to joke with on your poultry farm is Vaccinating yourbirds at the right time using the right quantity of vaccine required for theright quantity of birds.
Whether they are Cockerel,Broiler or Layer birds you are raising, they all have their differentvaccination programs according to the type.
Meanwhile, adequate care mustbe taken while vaccinating your birds to avoid what is known as Vaccine Failure.
According to a research carriedout recently, some of the major causes of vaccine failure when vaccinatingpoultry birds include the following:
1) Vaccine Storage and Transport: Alwaysensure that you buy your vaccines from reliable and reputable Vet. shop whichhas refrigeration facilities. Live vaccines are normally stored at atemperature of +2c to +8c. They should neither be frozen in a freezer norstored above +8c.
You need to also bear in mindthat when transporting the vaccine, that the same temperature should bemaintained on the farm.
Transportation in a flask withice cubes is good.
2) Check the Vaccine Expiring Date: Ensureto check the expiry date on the vaccine vial before purchase.
3)Don’t Vaccinate Sick Birds: The immune system of a sick bird is weak andcannot satisfactorily withstand a vaccine, let alone develop immunity againstthe disease.
Note that Vaccination of aSick Bird can Precipitate the Disease it is Intended to Prevent. Sick birdsshould be therefore be allowed to recover before vaccination.
4) Vaccines administered viadrinking water should be opened under the water into which it is to be mixed.This is because vaccines are normally vaccumsealed. When opened in the air they may draw contaminated air into thecontainer or the vial.
5) Wherever necessary,deworming should be carried out one week prior to vaccination.
6) Do not vaccinate under HighTemperature as it affects vaccine potency. Vaccination should be carried out duringthe cooler periods of the day. Heat sources in brooder house may be temporaryturned off except when the weather is too cold.
7)Avoid Stress During Vaccination: Stress is a well-documentedand proven immuno-suppressant. During stress the plasma corticosteroid levelincreases significantly, which result in a severe protein catabolism (breakdown of protein), resulting in reduced protection of antibodies in the body (poorantibody titres).
Therefore, always use MultipleVitamins before and after any vaccination.
8)Feed: Feed also play a very important role directly orindirectly in the development of immunity. Birds fed with well-balanced dietwill respond better than those that are not properly feed. Ensure that their feedsare analyzed from time to time for the presence of MYCOTOXINS.
9) For administration of thecorrect dose, the ACTUAL WATERconsumption must be known.
10) Ensure to supplysufficient drinkers and even distribution of the drinkers
11) You must discontinue andstop the use of any medications at least 48 hours before the vaccination.
12) Try to use the vaccines assoon as possible the vaccines are reconstituted, delay may lead to decrease inthe titre. Time and sequence of vaccination should be accurate.
13) Left over vaccine must be properly buried.
14) Use SKIMMED MILK orcolored water stabilizer (CEVAMUNE).
Note: Farmers should avoid the use of any powder milk during vaccination because any powder milk apart from skimmed milk contains 9% or 10% fat, and this fat aggregates on or near the surface of the container (due to the light weight of the fat) where vaccine is mixed, leading to the development of different concentration zones of the vaccine in the container.
15) After adding the SKIMMED milk or Cevamune, waitfor 10 minutes for complete chlorine neutralization before opening the Vail’sof the vaccine under the surface of the water.
14) Move quietly in the houseto encourage the birds to drink
15) Trained and skilled vaccinators are essential to administer the vaccine. Untrained persons handling the vaccines may result in wastage, improper dosage of vaccine and some birds may remain un-vaccinated.