Sources of foundation stock:
- Snail farmers
- Research Institutes.
- M a r k e t s
- Direct from the bush
- The age of the snail could be determined.
- The performance of the snails are known.
- The snails are already used to the system of rearing (Intensive system)
- The snail are well adapted to the environment.
- The price may be higher than that of snails purchased from
- hawkers or obtained directly from the bush.
- Snails to be used as foundation stock could also be purchased from Research Institutes like –
- Institute of Agric. Research and Training, Moor Plantation. (I.A.R.&.T.), Ibadan.
- The experts will also give necessary advice.
- Snails could also be purchased from the markets. The buyer must be very careful when purchasing from the market because of the adaptabil
- ity and future performance of the snail. The market women do not take care of the snails in the market.
- The hawkers along the highway used to create hole in the shell and allow the rope to pass through the hole, this process has adverse effect on the future performance of the snail if bought from the hawkers.
- Direct from the bush: The price of other snails if bought from the person that collected them from bush directly is cheaper because no expenses is incurred by the gatherers.
SELECTION OF FOUNDATION STOCK
- The snails must be healthy and active.
- The fleshy part should completely fill the shell.
- Snails of the same specie must be selected.
- The snails must be relatively of the same size.
- Snail with no shell damage is recommended.
- Consult experts or those that have been rearing snails in your locality especially for the choice of breed and necessary advice.
- 40 to 50 hatchlings
- 35 growing snails
- 10-15 adult snails
PROTEIN RICH FEEDS
Protein are obtained from animal or plant source. It is required for growth, maintenance of body parts and egg production, e. t. c.