|There are some interesting facts you may not be aware of concerning Cauliflower. |
For instance, Do you know that:
|1. Cauliflower can grow from 8 to 30 inches both in height and width.|
| 2. White head looks like a miniature tree on the cross section. It consists of densely packed curds. |
3. Cauliflower is an excellent source of dietary fibers, vitamins C, K and vitamins of the B group and minerals such as manganese, potassium and magnesium.
4. Head is usually 6 inches wide and has 2 to 3 pounds of weight in large varieties of cauliflower. Head consists of central stalk which branches and holds undeveloped flower buds.
5. Cauliflower develops large and coarse leaves that are green in color.
6. They grow in the form of rosette.
7. Leaves surround stalk which holds centrally positioned large, white head.
|8. Cauliflower has low caloric value and can be used as a substitute for rice and potato.|
| 9. Color of the head depends on the variety. |
10. Most common type of cauliflower is white, but it can be also purchased in green, purple, orange, brown and yellow color.
| 11. Green variety is known as broccoflower because it looks like broccoli. |
12. One type of green cauliflowers develops spiky instead of round curds. This variety of cauliflower is known as Romanesco broccoli.
| 13. Cauliflower belongs to the group of cruciferous vegetables. They are named that way because they have flowers that consist of four petals which grow in the shape of Greek cross. |
14. Cooking of 30 or more minutes decreases health benefits of cauliflower for 75%.
|15. Cauliflower develops from seeds and tissue transplants.|
| 16. Depending on the variety, it takes from 50 to 265 days from planting of the seed to the harvest. |
17. Cauliflower is harvested when it reaches expected size and texture.
|18. Cauliflowers can be eaten raw, cooked or pickled.|
|19. Prolonged cooking destroys majority of vitamins and it is associated with bad, sulfur-like smell of cauliflower.|
|20. Medical studies revealed that substances isolated from cauliflower can prevent development of certain types of cancer.|
|21. China is the greatest manufacturer of cauliflowers in the world.|
|22. Cauliflower is an annual plant which means that it completes its life cycle in one year.|