Snail is a common name given to a member of the class of molluscs Gastropoda. In ancient times these snails are usually hunted by farmers because regarded as pests. But after learning that this animal has a wide range of benefits, where this animal contains a lot of protein and also contains essential amino acids complete, so that the snails do not go unpunished. Even meat extract and snail slime contains benefits for treating the lining inflammation of the eye, pain due to menstruation, itching, toothache and others. Not only for health, but there are some types of snails that are beneficial for skin beauty. Even in other countries the use of snails for skin beauty is already popular.
Health facts Of Snail
1. Snail contains Omega-3 fatty acids 218mg, Total Omega-6 fatty 17.0mg. American Heart Association (AHA) has recommended that a person must meet 5-10 percent of daily calories from omega-6 fatty acids. Omega-6 needs for healthy adults is 1-3 grams / day.
2. Omega-3 fatty acids are a type of polyunsaturated fat that can not be produced by our body. So, Omega-3 is important as essential fatty acids. Omega-3 itself is formed of fatty acids like EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid), DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) and ALA (a-linolenic acid).
3. When you are consuming of Omega-3 regularly every day without an excessive dose, many benefits can be obtained. Among them:
- Assist in the development of the brain and memory of children. Omega-3 is very good to improve our brain health because it affects the development of cell membranes in the neurological system in the brain, in addition to omega 3 can improve memory so it is suitable for those who often forgetful.
- Prevent heart disease. Omega 3 is very useful for preventing diseases related to the heart due to omega 3 can make arterial organ becomes more elastic than that omega 3 can reduce the risk of high blood pressure.
- Lowering high cholesterol levels. Studies that have been conducted eating fish that rich in omega 3 regularly is very useful to raise good cholesterol and also shown to lower levels of triglycerides and LDL cholesterol in the blood. But keep in mind, when you consume snail in case you just wanna get the function of omega 3 (lowering cholesterol) you likely will not be able to do that because the snails have high cholesterol content.
- Healthy eyes. Omega 3 is excellent for improving eye health in general. in 100 grams of snails also contained 100 UI Vitamin A that is good for the eyes.
- Healthy fetus. Pregnant women who consume Omega-3 can make more babies born healthy and intelligent; it also improves the quality of breast milk. Omega-3 is essential for improving mental and physical health of the baby.
- Increase the child’s development. Children who frequently consume omega 3 it is very good to help the physical and mental development of children.
4. When compared with other sources such as In 100 grams of beef contains 14 grams of protein, one serving of 3 ounces of tuna fish contains 22 grams of protein, salmon contains 19 grams of protein in 3 ounces, while Snail protein containing 16.1 g or 32% DV. This amount is more than all sources except mutton reached 27 grams in 100 grams. This amount, which is higher than the eggs. Meet the protein by 32% in 100 grams helpful for:
- As the enzyme. Protein has a major role to speed up biological reactions.
- As a mean of transport and storage. The protein contained in hemoglobin to transport oxygen in erythrocytes. Protein contained in myoglobin to transport oxygen in the muscles.
- For mechanical support. One form of fibers of the proteins called collagen has a function to maintain the strength and durability of bones and skin.
- As the body’s defenses and immunization body’s defenses. Protein is commonly used in the form of antibodies
- Preventing disease kwashiorkor and marasmus. These both diseases are caused by a protein deficiency.
- Protein can also help in the wound healing process, the cells regeneration to regulate the hormones and enzymes in the body.
5. Snail contains vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin B1, B3, B6 and B12. Vitamin A is beneficial for the health of the eyes, while vitamin E may act as an antioxidant then Vitamin B1, B3, B6 and Vitamin B12 is an essential vitamin that is needed to prevent and control diabetes.
6. Snail contains vitamin that dominate vitamins are vitamins A, E, niacin, and folate. Vitamin A is good for the eyes, vitamin E is good for cell regeneration and skin care, niacin has a role in the carbohydrates metabolism to produce energy, and folate is good for the pregnant women.
7. Snail in addition to containing Vitamin E, mucus can be used to treat inflamed pimples. Developed countries have a lot of snail slime processing with advanced technology and serve as the base material for beauty products. In addition, the snail slime can help regenerate the skin and facial wrinkles.
8. Snail contains choline. Choline is an important water-soluble vitamin, which are often classified by the vitamin B group. Choline has many important functions; including being an integral part of the cell membrane, the raw material for the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, and donors to the methyl group is required by a number of vital processes in the body. The liver is an organ that can produce some choline, but most needed by the body. So it must be obtained from food sources. The recommended daily choline intake for men is 550 mg and 425 mg for the woman, while the snail contains 65 mg.
9. Choline is an essential component of the network known as the nervous system and brain nutrients that are important to maintaining brain function. Choline is also known to be required in building and maintaining healthy cell membranes. Besides it, choline plays an important role in protecting the liver from fat accumulation and help transport triglycerides from the liver. Cholin has the ability to break down fat so it is useful to prevent the buildup of bad cholesterol in the bloodstream. Choline is essential for the fetus and infants to help the growth of the brain, therefore, the baby should drink breast milk that rich in choline.
10. Snail is high in iron (about 3.5 mg or 19% of DV). Iron is a vital substance needed by the body to ensure the availability of the required number of blood cells every day. In the body these substances is very important for our survival, helps transport of oxygen into the tissues of the lungs and transports electrons in the formation of energy in cells. When transporting oxygen, iron need the help from other nutrients such as protein which later merged to creates hemoglobin (in red blood cells) and myglobin (in the muscle fibers).
11. The iron requirement depends on the sex and age of man. In children aged 2-6 years should be sufficient in iron as much as 4.7 mg / day, while the age of 16-12 years of 7.8 mg / day. From the age factor men with age 12-16 years have took 21.4 mg / day, while adult women that in childbearing age 18.9 mg / day, for menopausal women 6.7 mg / day and lactating 8.7 mg / day. Figures in the form of iron nutritional needs are calculated based on the bioavailability of 15%.
12. Snail contains high levels of magnesium. Magnesium plays important roles in the body, which is needed for more than 325 enzymatic reactions, including involved in the synthesis of fats, proteins and nucleic acids, neural activity, muscle contraction and relaxation, cardiac activity and bone metabolism.
13. United States Department of Health and Human Services recommends the intake of 400 mg of magnesium per day for men aged 19-30 years and 420 mg for those over 30 years old. As for women less than 30 years recommended intake is 300 mg of magnesium per day. Women who are over 30 years old are recommended consuming 310 mg of magnesium per day. While the snail contains Magnesium 250 mg or 62% of DV.
14. Snail high in phosphorus (272 mg or 27% of DV), The importance of the phosphorus is in second rank to the total content of calcium in the body. The main function of phosphorus as a conduit of energy for the metabolism of fats and starches, as supporting healthy teeth and gums, for DNA synthesis and the absorption of calcium consumption dam.
15. Snail High in selenium. Selenium are important minerals and nutrients to fight diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Selenium is synergistic with vitamin E, which means that both works very strong equally. Both are powerful antioxidants that help to prevent the aging and hardening of tissues through oxidation. Mineral selenium is essential for many body functions and can be found in every cell of the body, which is mainly in the kidneys, liver, spleen, pancreas, and testes. In men, half of selenium in the body concentrates in the testicles and part of the vas deferens or around the prostate gland.
But, Snail has a bad side for our body too. Let’s check it out:
- Low calorie and zero fiber, in addition it has a low calorie content, snail also contains zero fiber. If the normally low-calorie foods that are always associated with diet, the snail is not good food for diet, because it does not contain fiber
- High cholesterol. Snail contains high cholesterol. Do not expect to benefit from omega 3 and omega 6, because it is not able to cover the dangers of high cholesterol in the snail. So, anyone who has a cholesterol exceed normal limits should not consume snail
- Calories 90.0 (377 kJ) From Carbohydrate 13.0 (54.4 kJ), From Fat 12.6 (52.8 kJ) Protein From 64.4 (270 kJ)
- Total Carbohydrate 2.0g
- Total Fat 1.4g, Saturated Fat 0.4g, 0.3g Monounsaturated Fat, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3g, Total Omega-3 fatty acids 218mg, Total Omega-6 fatty 17.0mg
- Protein 16.1 g or 32% DV
- Vitamins: Vitamin A 100 IU Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) 5.0 mg or 25%, Vitamin K 0.1 mcg, Riboflavin 0.1 mg or 7% DV, Niacin 1.4 mg or 7% DV Vitamin B6 0.1 mg 6% DV, Folate 6.0 mcg or 1% DV, Vitamin B12 0.5 mcg or 8% DV, Choline 65.0 mg
- Minerals: Calcium 10.0 mg, Iron 3.5 mg or 19%, Magnesium 250 mg or 62%, Phosphorus 272 mg or 27%, Potassium 382 mg or 11%, Sodium 70.0 mg or 3%, Zinc 1.0 mg or 7%, Copper 0.4 mg or 20%, and Selenium 27.4 mcg or 39%
- Cholesterol 50.0 mg or 17%
- Water 79.2g and Ash 1.3 g
How to cook the snail
Before the process is advisable to choose the snails which it has large sizes, or with diameter of shells at least 2 cm. The number of slugs that will be processed at least 40 pieces for 3 people with a cooking menu. The stages of processing are as follows:
- Break the shell mainly from the middle to the head. Remove the meat from the shell snails, clean the droppings.
- Meat taken head or that can be used to creep. After the washing with water while squeezing.
- The body of the snail will spend a lot of mucus. Repeated at least five times. Mucus will not be discharged only numbers are reduced.
- Soak the laundry with hot water to snail that has been given whiting half an hour. Still knead drain back and snails have been ready to be processed.
That tips is for processing snail meat just as we would cook the meat for consumption.